Monday, August 9, 2010

Accomplishment

I wrote a short story today.

I know that doesn't sound too impressive, but believe me, it is.

Especially when one counts in all of the following situations.

1. The last time I wrote and finished something was February 2009.

2. I've never written out an entire story in one day.

3. My short story is going to be ripped apart by ravenous beasts in my Creative Writing Workshop in less than a month.

I received an email this morning from one of my professors that starting the second week of the semester we're going to be "workshopping" each other's completed short stories or poems. I'm not too big on poetry, so I decided I'd write a short story instead. I've had the general outline of the story in my head for several months now, but hadn't put it to words until today. I began writing it around ten and, after working on and off all day, finished it by 7:15 or so. I had my sister and my mother, two of my personal critics, read it. I received their approval. I then emailed my professor and told her that I'd like to have my work read through on September 3 if it wasn't already filled. We'll see if I'm lucky #3 or not. I figured the sooner I get it over with the better, so that way the animals in my class can devour on other work as the semester drags on.

In other news, marching band starts in 8 days for me. I'm officially on the Uniform Committee so that'll hopefully enhance my chances of making it in and not getting cut. I practiced my music for an hour yesterday, but the feeling that I'm going to be beaten out by better players still lingers in the back of my mind, a dark feeling I can't shake no matter how much I practice. Still, I will put forth all my effort and hope for the best.

I feel a sense of accomplishment, and I have a little bit of optimism that I can keep up this trend for the impending semester... and most likely the remaining years of my college life.

That is all.

Thank you and good night.

No comments: