Sunday, October 24, 2010

Counting Your Blessings

So, in my last post I said I'd write later in the week to get some issues off my chest. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately for you who read this) I don't remember what I was going to say. Mostly because I now have new things to write about, both bad and good. Here we go.

Last Tuesday I had my yearly physical. For the most part, I'm healthy, except my hemoglobin is rather low and I've been having some girl problems, to put it subtly. After getting some blood work done, I have discovered I have iron-deficiency anemia, which means in medical terms that I am exhausted and need to take iron pills to bring my hemoglobin back up. I need to schedule an appointment to go back and get my hemoglobin and thyroid rechecked, since that too was also looking low. I will also need more blood work done in 2 or 3 months. This is gonna be fun.

While that did put a damper on my Tuesday, Tuesday night I received a very surprising email - I received a Little Brother! Wednesday night was First Degree, and I got to pin my Little, Chelsea. She was very surprised to see me - she told me later she was worried it was somebody she wouldn't like for a Big. I used to think getting a Big Brother was the best thing ever, but now I realize becoming a Big Brother is the best thing ever. I took my Little to Pollyeye's after Degree where we met up with Eddie, my Big, and we introduced her to stuffed breadsticks. Needless to say, she enjoyed her first visit at Pollyeye's. She left a little early to go home with one of the commuter MC's who got ready in her room, so then I got to spend time with my Big. I looked at Eddie and I said, "I didn't know how much love my heart could hold till I was called Big." And it's true. :-)

It wasn't until Thursday that I realized that my Little is a very busy person. Being a pre-law major I should have expected that. But we WILL find a way to set weekly dinner dates together, dammit! I'm still giddy over the fact that I'm now a Big Brother; every time I'm called Big my heart just melts with happiness. It's a feeling I can't truly describe to somebody unless they experience it firsthand. Too bad I'm already failing at being a Big Brother since I haven't seen Chelsea very much since First Degree. I did get a chance to meet her boyfriend and her mother before the game yesterday though. Oh yeah, yesterday was another Game Day against Kent State. We lost, 30-6, but at least our halftime show was amazing. Then again, when isn't Journey amazing?

On a sad note, it is with sorrow I report that Theresa Cousino, a mother of one of my brothers' friends and a friend of my mother's, has lost her battle with cancer on Thursday. After battling it for five years, God told her it was time to rest. This hit home really hard, especially for my mother, who had just got done battling cancer herself and became very close to Theresa over this past year. She will be missed greatly by all who knew her, but we must remember she is in a better place.

That is all.

Thank you and good day.

No comments: